Friday 30 May 2014

This Mortal Coil

Hello, all.
I'm finally back from, well... everywhere, truthfully. I've neglected this blog for far too long, and I'd say it makes my soul feel lighter to write this thing, but in all honesty, the deadline is coming up and as much as I love to procrastinate, such a feat is much harder come the end of senior year.
So, I'll go ahead and apologize in advance for this blog post. It isn't happy. It isn't funny. It isn't particularly cheerful. I wrote the first draft of it a few months ago, when I heard through the grapevine that my family-tree had been... "self-pruned", if you will. I've let it collect dust in my draft pile because I wasn't sure if I was ready to publish it or not. I'm still not sure, but I think it needs to be said.

Here goes, everyone. Buckle up, and remember that you aren't alone.

This trope in particular doesn't bug me, so much as it saddens me and leaves me a wee bit angrier than I should admit to. Maybe it's different for you - it probably is. For me, it's entirely personal. If you haven't figured it out already by my arboreal-theme euphemisms, this trope is that of "light-hearted suicide". Is that the actual name? Probably not. We're going with it, though. It's when authors or creators of creative content use suicide as comedy, or something to be laughed at; made fun of; belittled.
Now, I've often agreed with the school of thought that laughter is a great medicine and can often be used to initiate free discussion. It's what I'm trying to do with this particular blog post. I could berate you about how suicide isn't funny and how anyone who makes jokes about it should be ashamed, but 1) that wouldn't be fun to read, 2) it wouldn't be fun to write, and 3) it really isn't my place to judge.
For those of us left behind, laughter and jokes can be a way to cope. It can make things just a little bit easier.
To them, I say nothing. I respect it, and trust me, I understand. I've been there.
For those who make jokes out of a place of ignorance? I ask you to reconsider. Suicide isn't "lol-worthy". Don't imply that suicide is a laughing matter, and that depression is "just a phase". Don't trivialize it. Don't turn it into a running gag. If you decide that, as a creator, suicide would advance your plot and allow for a further depth of character in those left alive, I can only beg of you to do it justice. Make sure your audience understands the severity of what's happened. Yes, yes, they're just imaginary people living in a world made of words and ideas. Unfortunately, they aren't the only ones capable of "shuffling off this mortal coil". Be respectful. Be cognizant. Be aware. Be understanding.




I find it necessary to remind everyone, anyone, who's reading, whether they be classmates or random Interweb prowlers, that suicide shouldn't just be giggled at. It shouldn't be dismissed, and if you've got any suicidal tendencies, or you feel depressed, or you're even toying around with the thought, then please, please, talk to someone. Visit the suicide prevention page. You aren't alone, and it isn't your fault. 

1 comment:

  1. I am very glad that you ended up posting this blog as it is oh so important to discuss these things, no matter how excruciating, rather than ignoring the fact that they exist at all. I can't even describe the puzzling and abysmal process that is trying to understand the motives behind suicide when someone near chooses against life. Contrary to the comedic perspective, I found that writing helped me deal with the questions I had been faced with afterward. Writing should not only be a tribute to those who have passed but also an affirmation of life as well as an urge to carry on. Definitely not a laughing matter.

    ReplyDelete